Secret Cemeteries

Sunday 1 November 2009

Autumn Watch at Abney Park Cemetery


Yesterdays Autumn Watch was partly shot in Abney Park Cemetery. I visited Abney Park earlier in the year, it is certainly wild and wonderful.

There is lots of undergrowth for wildlife.


Unfortunately it is quite a long journey from where I live.
I liked this little snail curled into the stone ivy in this photo above.

This photo on the right is what I used for the sketch for the flier for Secret cemeteries. I very much like the idea of the stone ivy on one side and the real ivy on the other side of the grave stone.




There are lots of things in the media about cemeteries, I've just started reading Audrey Niffengger's book 'Her Fearful Symmetry'. It is set in Highgate Cemetery. Its very atmospheric and really gives an impression of the Cemetery and what it is like to be there.
Kensal Green, Abney park and Highgate are all part of the Magnificent Seven Cemeteries that were built around London in the 1830 and 40's. Kensal Green was the first to be opened.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home