Secret Cemeteries

Monday 21 September 2009

Black Natural dyeing

In the summer I went on a summer school with Jo Budd, we did flour paste resist. Its a resist that I really like but I haven't been able to get fine lines. This is a new sample, with ferrous sulphate and tannic acid. I'm very pleased with the fine lines, it really gives a sense of texture. Its almost as though the fabric was peeling and it looks multi layered. The fabric is cotton sateen which does give a lovely finish.

A few weeks ago I couldn't make a black on cotton so I've done a bit of research and this is the result. I'm really pleased. It is a very old recipe. I have used the same ingredients but instead of just mixing them together the fabric was steeped in ferrous sulphate for 6 hours and then in washing soda for 10 mins and tannic acid for half an hour. It was tied round a cocktail stick and then over dyed with indigo.

3 Comments:

  • Well done! I don't think I'd have the patience... I'd have resorted to the procion by now!

    By Blogger Gina, At 21 September 2009 at 09:10  

  • Gina,
    Thanks, I sometimes wonder what makes me carry on when at other times I do give up. It might be the link with gardening.. it makes me value natural dyes more.
    Did you get the post I did on Sunday with pictures of St Nics Church yard?

    By Blogger Jenny Leslie, At 22 September 2009 at 03:26  

  • really liking your resist experiments---wonderful texture and colours without colour :}

    By Blogger arlee, At 6 January 2010 at 14:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home