Secret Cemeteries

Wednesday 9 September 2009

starting on the second part

I've got some news today about finishing the the first module for Secret Cemeteries. I was very pleased with the comments. Quite a lot of my time has been spent experimenting with natural dyes. I think they give a much more subtle effect than synthetic dyes but they can be more variable.
This is a close of one of my experiments, its indigo and iron with tannin on a silk fabric.
A bit later I tried another version on cotton, it wasn't so successful. I will have to do some more experiments.
This sample was based on cobwebs in a cemetery, I think the idea of nature, in this case spiders starting off new life is rather exciting. Now I have to start on the next part, setting up the community project and more experiments with dyeing.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Jenny
    I am so pleased to visit your blog and read about your experiments with natural dyes and with the idea of cemeteries. My husband and I visited the montmartre cemetary (among many others) in France last spring, and there's a lot of inspiration there. What I loved about that particular cemetary were all the small house like chambers that were built to house the loved departed ones. Also, pleased to meet a fellow JC student.

    By Blogger Judy Martin, At 9 September 2009 at 14:41  

  • Judy,

    Thanks for your comments, I would love to see some photo's of montmartre cemetery, there are some like this in the London cemeteries escpecially Highgate and Kensal Green.

    Lets keep in touch.

    jenny

    By Blogger Jenny Leslie, At 11 September 2009 at 11:12  

  • I love this photograph Jenny, especially the shadows. It is really interesting to read what you are doing. I intend to put a link on my blog soon.

    By Blogger Gina, At 14 September 2009 at 07:18  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home